Sunday 31 May 2015

Pest Control sucking cacao (Helopeltis spp.)

Cacao fruit-sucking pests (Helopeltis spp.) Is an important pest that their destruction level was ranked second after the cocoa fruit borer. These pests can reduce fruit productivity 50-60%.



Cocoa fruit-sucking pests ladybugs intangibles consisting of several species, among others H. antonii, H. claviver, and H. theivora. This pest attacks almost all the cocoa crop in Indonesia and some other countries such as Papua cocoa farmers, Malaysia, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, and some countries in Africa.

Life cycle
Cocoa fruit-sucking pest insect metamorphosis is imperfectly with the life cycle lasts for 30-48 days. Life cycle starting from the egg stage lasts for 6-7 days followed by the nymph phase lasts for 10-11 days, and the imago phase for 14-20 days.
Egg-shaped oval suction cacao fruit, white, and usually placed by imago in the skin tissue of fruit or leaf. After the eggs hatch, the young insects (nymphs) out of the fruit skin tissue and will undergo five instars (4 times molting) to finally become an adult (imago).

At this phase of the intensity of the suction imago cocoa pods will be higher, because in addition to the destruction of the fruit of the cacao, imago will marry and go back laying eggs produced in the skin tissue to resume the cycle offspring. One imago generally can produce up to 200 eggs during her lifetime.
Symptoms of attack

Fruit-sucking pests can attack the cocoa pods during morning and afternoon. Because he did not like the presence of light, when daylight these pests typically hide in dark parts of the plant such as sidelines or part of the leaf facing downward.
Fruit-sucking pests can attack while still in the phase of nymph and imago. The attack carried out by piercing the fruit skin young and old uses his mouth that resemble needles. His mouth was then suck the sweet liquid that is in the rind, then along with the puncture mouth discharge of toxins that can kill cells and tissues that are around the puncture hole.
Attacks on young fruit causing fruit skin is cracked and the abnormal growth of fruit (malformations). Due to abnormal growth, development bijipun will be hampered and result in decreased productivity panen.Pada high-intensity attacks, young fruit attacked would die, dry up and fall.

The attack on the old fruit rind cause was infested with black spots that are puncture wounds. But the attack on the old fruit usually rare because it was too hard rind and does not contain a liquid that can be eaten by sucking pests.
Attacks can also occur in young shoots. The young leaves are attacked usually within a few days immediately withered, dried up, and eventually die. The leaves will eventually fall and twigs will merangas dry and will become like a stick.

Disease control
Cocoa fruit-sucking pests can be controlled with biological control techniques, technical culture and chemical control.

Biological control
Biological control can be done by inoculation mealybug to invite black ants are natural enemies of pests sucking fruit. Black ants who move around the fruit of the cocoa will make imago not have time to put the eggs on the surface of cocoa pods. Black ants also feed on the eggs contained sucking cacao fruit surface.
In addition to the inoculation mealybug, black ants may also be invited to make a way home using the litter that is tied to the branching or jorquette.

Control also can be done by removing the fungus parasitoids of this pest in the form of Beauveria bassiana. Insects are infected usually die after 2-5 days hosed. Spraying in imago generally more effective on insects in the imago phase, where a dose of 25-50 grams of spores / ha.

Control of technical culture
Control is the technical culture made by cutting unproductive branches that overlap. Pruning aims to reduce the moisture level of the garden so that the fruit-sucking insects are not comfortable for long stay in our cocoa farm.
In addition to pruning, fruit-sucking pest control cocoa technical culture can also be done with the use of shade trees that can be home to the black ant that no other natural enemies of pests sucking fruit. Some shade trees are coconut, lamtoro, and sengon.

Chemical control
Chemical control is the last option after controlling technical culture and biological control does not produce satisfactory results. Chemical control can be done by application of insecticides according to recommended dosage.
-
Reference
Elna Karmawati, et al. 2010. Cultivation and Post Harvest Cocoa. Research and Development Center of Plantation.
Firdausil AB, Nasriati, A. Yani. 2008. Cocoa Cultivation Technology. Center for Studies and Development TeknologiPertanian.
Hatta Sunanto. 1994. Chocolate Products Processing and Its economy aspects. Canisius.
Rijadi Subiantoro. 2009. Important Pests in Crops Cocoa. Lampung State Polytechnic.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. Your content was very helpful. You are a marvelous writer. Good work!bush turkey removal

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a commendable work you have done, with simplest of language. I can’t resist myself to leave a comment and trust me it’s hard to impress me. pest control brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!.
    pest Control

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life is beautiful thanks to you, Mein Helfer. Lord Jesus in my life as a candle light in the darkness. You showed me the meaning of faith with your words. I know that even when I cried all day thinking about how to recover, you were not sleeping, you were dear to me. I contacted the herbal center Dr Itua, who lived in West Africa. A friend of mine here in Hamburg is also from Africa. She told me about African herbs but I was nervous. I am very afraid when it comes to Africa because I heard many terrible things about them because of my Christianity. god for direction, take a bold step and get in touch with him in the email and then move to WhatsApp, he asked me if I can come for treatment or I want a delivery, I told him I wanted to know him I buy ticket in 2 ways to Africa To meet Dr. Itua, I went there and I was speechless from the people I saw there. Patent, sick people. Itua is a god sent to the world, I told my pastor about what I am doing, Pastor Bill Scheer. We have a real battle beautifully with Spirit and Flesh. Adoration that same night. He prayed for me and asked me to lead. I spent 2 weeks and 2 days in Africa at Dr Itua Herbal Home. After the treatment, he asked me to meet his nurse for the HIV test when I did it. It was negative, I asked my friend to take me to another nearby hospital when I arrived, it was negative. I was overwhite with the result, but happy inside of me. We went with Dr. Itua, I thank him but I explain that I do not have enough to show him my appreciation, that he understands my situation, but I promise that he will testify about his good work. Thank God for my dear friend, Emma, I know I could be reading this now, I want to thank you. And many thanks to Dr. Itua Herbal Center. He gave me his calendar that I put on my wall in my house. Dr. Itua can also cure the following diseases ... Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Inflammatory Liver, Diabetis, Fribroid,Parkinson's disease,Inflammatory bowel disease ,Fibromyalgia, recover your ex. You can contact him by email or whatsapp, @ .. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com, phone number .. + 2348149277967 .. He is a good doctor, talk to him kindly. I'm sure he will also listen to you.

    ReplyDelete